Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weekly update attempt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:24 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
So, I thought maybe I should try forcing myself to give weekly updates for motivation and pressure since I already started working regularly on this.

To start out with, I thought I'd show a quick video on what I currently have. It's not a lot and the game is kind of choppy when I'm recording, so I apologize for that.

Currently, there's local navigation on the Battlecruiser. This means that you can run around safely inside the ship, and it will pathfind you correctly on it, no matter how much the ship is flying around and rotating.

Ship navigation works by accessing the navigation console, and gives control of the ship. Player can then accelerate/decelerate like in SC2 and also rotate by right-clicking.

There's also a weapon console. Accessing it will connect to any attached turrets and have them follow the mouse cursor. They dont fire anything yet and they rotate through the ship.

All of this works in multiplayer. This does not mean that there's any support for playing this with multiple people in a lobby, just that the underlying network code is there and working as intended. I even experimented with a skin that applies only for the local player, so your "marine" is green, while the others are blue.

To demonstrate all of this (except the multiplayer part, I'll show that in a later video), here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fICSkpMIcRI

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Weekly update attempt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:06 pm 
Creator
So, I was really productive today, so I'm posting a bonus video.

I capped the turret rotation so they dont move too far. I also added firing projectiles! The projectiles only fire from the turrets that can currently rotate towards the mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxxtFN9O1Fk

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
Always nice to see this coming along.

Looking forward for the first public alpha. :P

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:32 am 
CCI
Looks good!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:19 pm 
Creator
I can't keep myself to once a week. Here's a new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV3KiquGNLg

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:36 am 
CCI
Looks more like "Inflatable Raft Command" than "Cruiser Command" right now, but damn, a lot of progress since last video. Nice!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:56 am 
Creator
Unfortunately, there's not enough progress to warrant a new video. I've been working almost every day since last video, but progress has been slow and most stuff is not noticeable in a video.

A big part of my time has gone into cleaning the code and fixing the turrets. The turrets didn't work in multiplayer before (it didn't appear to rotate on other clients than your own, and the projectiles only showed up on your client). In addition, the aim was off and they didn't really aim perfectly towards the mouse. This has been fixed though, and we're looking good for 0.0.1 alpha.

The 0.0.1 alpha milestone requires, in addition to what's already there, working ship damage and some way to visualize it (health bar, it's fine if it's ugly). It also requires multiplayer to spawn one ship per player for now, so trying it out with multiple players will give each player their own ship to control. Finally, the multiplayer should actually be testable outside the editor with 2+ people connecting and playing the game.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:57 pm 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
Siretu wrote:
Finally, the multiplayer should actually be testable outside the editor with 2+ people connecting and playing the game.

Let me know if you want a multiplayer test (I am OK with using the editor for testing if needed)

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:39 pm 
Creator
Sooo 11 days after my last video, the next one appears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6EQJw ... e=youtu.be

This shows some very WIP healthbars and that the projectiles actually deal damage. It also showcases networking and that everything kind of works together on multiple clients.

I got to do some general game stuff to get clients spawning on their own ships and I should be good to go for 0.0.1 alpha.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:23 pm 
Creator
I was a bit disappointed at the health bar, so I improved it so it's nice to look at :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25Xuk_ ... e=youtu.be

Report this post