Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weapon Warm-up
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:42 pm 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
Seeing as how BC weapons tend to decimate small ships in a short amount of time, I suggest having a "warm up" period of say 5-10 seconds where it drains energy in preparation to fire - that way it won't affect BC vs BC fights that much, but become less effective at shooting down small ships, since it will have to warm up before shooting - if the weapon was recently fire, then there is no warm-up period as the weapon is already "warm" - say if it's been shot within the last 10 seconds, then it's still warmed up - or perhaps it shoots but only does a small amount of damage relative to normal (or shorter range), whatever

thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Weapon Warm-up
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:47 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
I feel like this may actually create more issues than it fixes.

While the BC utterly decimates small ships during the late phase, also try to imagine this from the perspective of the early phase. The BC is supposed to be a deterring force to small ships. And even looking into the later stages, it may render the BC a little too defenseless against harassment.

I'd honestly prefer to see a method given to small ships in order to avoid death rather than nerfing the BC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:18 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 22
how about no :3

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

Dont touch me you filthy casual.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:59 am 
CCI
Slapshot:

I'm with you that I would identify BC weapons decimating small ships in a short amount of time as a problem; that is, it is NOT a good thing. However, I don't think your suggestions will help.

From my understanding, you had 3 suggestions (1 with 2 alternatives): A warmup period when the weapon doesn't fire, a period when the damage is reduced, and a period when the range is shorter. I'll tell you why I don't like each one.

Warmup no firing period: So imagine a situation in the current version where you're happily out mining and suddenly you get bombarded with kinetics and die before you can even start to move. Very common situation. Now imagine a 5-10 second delay. So...you still get bombarded without warning but just a few seconds later. I think the only time this suggestion would work is if you are already full throttle and are on the very edge of the weapon range and can quickly turn around and get out of range.

Warmup damage reduction period: This is probably the best suggestion, but I still don't like it for the exact reasons WhyteDragon said.

Warmup range reduction period: Essentially the same as the first one but slightly better. You are still likely to get hit without warning, unless by lucky chance one of the early short ranged rounds just happens to get near enough for you to see it but not quite far enough to hit you, giving you a warning, but still hardly any time to react.

An alternative suggestion: Make BC projectiles show up on the minimap when within the Subjugator radar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:50 am 
CCA
Puppetbones wrote:
Slapshot:

I'm with you that I would identify BC weapons decimating small ships in a short amount of time as a problem; that is, it is NOT a good thing. However, I don't think your suggestions will help.

From my understanding, you had 3 suggestions (1 with 2 alternatives): A warmup period when the weapon doesn't fire, a period when the damage is reduced, and a period when the range is shorter. I'll tell you why I don't like each one.

Warmup no firing period: So imagine a situation in the current version where you're happily out mining and suddenly you get bombarded with kinetics and die before you can even start to move. Very common situation. Now imagine a 5-10 second delay. So...you still get bombarded without warning but just a few seconds later. I think the only time this suggestion would work is if you are already full throttle and are on the very edge of the weapon range and can quickly turn around and get out of range.

Warmup damage reduction period: This is probably the best suggestion, but I still don't like it for the exact reasons WhyteDragon said.

Warmup range reduction period: Essentially the same as the first one but slightly better. You are still likely to get hit without warning, unless by lucky chance one of the early short ranged rounds just happens to get near enough for you to see it but not quite far enough to hit you, giving you a warning, but still hardly any time to react.

An alternative suggestion: Make BC projectiles show up on the minimap when within the Subjugator radar.

miners weren't really the main focus, and it's not like any of those are really a negative change for miners, mostly just the same

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:02 pm 
CCI
I was using miners as an example, but the same applies to any other small ship. It doesn't matter what small ship you are in; it's still getting bombarded and insta dying without warning, just a few seconds later.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:08 am 
CCA
Puppetbones wrote:
I was using miners as an example, but the same applies to any other small ship. It doesn't matter what small ship you are in; it's still getting bombarded and insta dying without warning, just a few seconds later.

so.. your not saying it's a bad thing, just that it won't improve their situation as much as you would like

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:06 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 22
it would be an interesting drawback for a weapon but i dont think that it would work for the current weapons like lasers and kinetics.

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

Dont touch me you filthy casual.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:50 am 
CCI
Slapshot wrote:
so.. your not saying it's a bad thing, just that it won't improve their situation as much as you would like

I was agreeing with WhyteDragon on the negative effects. It basically kind of fixes a problem while creating a whole new one.