Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Racist Shields Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:36 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 22
So DoomWhite and I had an amazing idea, shields with different colors that do different things, and we made sure each color was in some way racist. (besides blue and purple, theres just nothing racist tied to them unfortunately :( )

So blue is your average shield that you start with, nothing changes.

At the upgrades console you can upgrade into different shields and they can be togable at the power console (unless we implement a glorious shield console...which we should)

~~ Basic ~~
Blue

~~ Advanced ~~
Purple
Yellow
Red

~~ Legendary ~~
Black

Purple: 50% of incoming damage from lasers will be converted into power (Example: 100 damage from lasers, +50 power, you still take 100 damage from lasers, but you get more power, which helps long term)
Yellow: 25% of incoming damage from kinetics that is absorbed by the shield (the damage that is taken by the shield after calculating bleedthrough) heals the hull.
Red: Every 500 damage that shields takes from the enemy battlecruiser (note, if hull damage is taken due to bleedthrough, less damage is absorbed by the shields) and will create an instant feedback laser that deals 200 damage. Rules: (1st) Damage taken must be from enemy Battlecruiser, so small ship fire and missiles wont work, but missiles and yamato cannons from the enemy Battlecruiser counts as well. (2nd) The enemy battlecruiser must be visible, weather by an allied ship, or the BCs own vision (so if an enemy BC is hitting you from long range, and 500/500 damage is taken, nothing will happen and the number will reset, not wait until the enemy BC comes into vision, but simply dissipate and reset O.O )

Black: 20% of all damage taken is absorbed (reduces damage) and will fill a bar. requires 5000 points of damage. once full it can be activatable by the power console. Once activated it will release a shockwave around the BC. deals 2,500 damage. Note: the distance the wave travels is quite large, but if it hits anything, it can be partially or completely dissipated by astroids, an enemy BC or subjugator shields so anything behind said objects are safe.

Thank you all for listening to DoomWhite's and my idea and I hope you all have a wonderfully racist day today!

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

Dont touch me you filthy casual.

Post subject: Re: The Racist Shields Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:47 pm 
100% Approved :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:28 pm 
CCI
Angry yellow man: :x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:58 am 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
The Blue Man Group disapproves.

(Sorry for the trolling...)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:42 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
At a surface level I think the idea of different shields that can do different things is an interesting concept. It sort of promotes the same sort of theory that goes behind different weapon types for different situations.

However, as presented, some parts of it worry me as some shielding types simply being 'better' than others. But more than that, I think the biggest issue I take with it is the lack of commitment behind switching shield types. If you can say each shield will inevitably counter a certain situation, then it could also sort of be said that even though it might take effort to implement a certain strategy, it takes minimal if no effort to implement the counter-strategy shield should you have it.

I understand that weapons used to have a similar mechanic regarding weapon switching and people wanted that gone, but the difference here more lies in the concept of 'acting' and 'reacting.' It's expected that an offensive action will usually come out quicker than a defensive actions, as typically if defense is more rewarding than offense it becomes meaningless to promote aggressive game play -- and that would result in a game where nobody would want to attack first unless they had an obvious advantage.

If possible, I'd like to see some sort of 'required commitment' in switching shields. A temporary downtime, by example. Something that makes it such that switching isn't as simple a decision as 'oh okay lets do it.'

I'd also like to see a little more balancing behind the concepts. I see this more as a draft of ideas to get things going -- some of these ideas vastly outstrip the others at a glance, like the shields to energy one.

... another quick concern would also be the breaking existing weapon shield interactions. Everything would have to be looked over again most likely.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:50 pm 
CCI
WhyteDragon wrote:
If possible, I'd like to see some sort of 'required commitment' in switching shields. A temporary downtime, by example. Something that makes it such that switching isn't as simple a decision as 'oh okay lets do it.

Of course, its not easy changing your racism.

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:52 pm 
Yarrr
Dreadnought wrote:
Of course, its not easy changing your racism.

+1 style points.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:57 pm 
CCI
I dont know though...about taking this idea seriously, because it was pretty much a joke between Doom and I o.o

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:00 pm 
Yarrr
Dreadnought wrote:
I dont know though...about taking this idea seriously, because it was pretty much a joke between Doom and I o.o

/me shrugs.

The base concept behind different types of shields is not a bad one.

The only silly part about it is more the title.

... arguably the shield type balancing too.

... ... and the inclusion of a 'legendary obviously better than all other shields' type.

... ... ... but the base concept is good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:16 am 
CCI
My first reaction is that this adds more complexity and shear mechanic count to the game that might not be necessary. If more mechanics are implemented I would probably like to see others removed.

Another thing I would like to point out is that, depending on how it would work, it might not scale down very well to smaller games where during BC battles there may not be someone on power the whole time.