Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Why people keep leaving CC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:03 pm 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
There are quite a few people in-between.. pretty much all of CCI, most of the koreans, a few wild-cards like Emster, old pros like Glarion, players who don't play often like Beto, tag-on players like Hinubay and Corwin, etc.

inaccessible BC roles? yes, that does seem to be an issue, perhaps if it was more guided away from that, i.e. players spawn in the hangar, then they wouldn't feel the "need" to go "pilot" the BC right off the bat.. but really, there doesn't need to be an experienced person on the BC, 1 new person who can take advice from a more experienced player is roughly 80% as effective - the problem comes when the "new" people are also "idiots", which plagues many games, but team-oriented ones moreso

AI's are also a work in progress to help newbies have what to practice against and try their own stuff (i.e. upgrades) outside of a competitive game

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:32 am 
CCA
slapshot wrote:
a few wild-cards like Emster,

Don't know if thats good or bad... :P

Anyway, I would like to join CCA or CCI, just not sure which to apply to yet.

slapshot wrote:
inaccessible BC roles? yes, that does seem to be an issue, perhaps if it was more guided away from that, i.e. players spawn in the hangar, then they wouldn't feel the "need" to go "pilot" the BC right off the bat.. but really, there doesn't need to be an experienced person on the BC, 1 new person who can take advice from a more experienced player is roughly 80% as effective - the problem comes when the "new" people are also "idiots", which plagues many games, but team-oriented ones moreso

Yeah, I do like the idea of spawning in the hanger. It means the first thing new players are likely to check out are the small ships, saving a lot of time. Also, maybe starting with the go to window minimized, so that they aren't likely to see the Bridge button and click on it as that may cause them to use even more time poking around the BC then before.

I think it would also be a good idea to increase the cool down of the increase reactor button to about 3 or so seconds once it is over 150% and add another warning once the reactor goes over 125%. I just think that would make sabotaging the reactor a bit more difficult for people who are on your team.

Also, I like the idea that was mentioned earlier about making the upgrades console have a (word that means a line of items that the forum will not let me say). It would also be nice to make it so that you can leave the console and things will still upgrade. However, with this it would probably be a good idea to make upgrades take a bit longer and add a cancel last upgrade selection and cancel all buttons.

Another idea that would be cool to implement is to have new drone job: distribute repair kits. You would still have to go to the construction console to get the repair kits, but you could have a drone distribute the kits at specific locations throughout the ship, maybe at elevators, the bridge, power and the hanger.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:05 am 
CCI
I like everything you said Emster...except the part about not being sure which clan to apply to. You should be 100% sure you're applying to CCI. Duh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:50 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 22
Emster wrote:
Also, I like the idea that was mentioned earlier about making the upgrades console have a (word that means a line of items that the forum will not let me say). It would also be nice to make it so that you can leave the console and things will still upgrade. However, with this it would probably be a good idea to make upgrades take a bit longer and add a cancel last upgrade selection and cancel all buttons.

This is not possible, Siretu tried to make it work but the system kept bugging out.

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

Dont touch me you filthy casual.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:13 pm 
CCA
Dreadnought wrote:
This is not possible, Siretu tried to make it work but the system kept bugging out.

Ah, well it was worth a shot.

Emster wrote:
Another idea that would be cool to implement is to have new drone job: distribute REPAIR kits. You would still have to go to the construction console to get the repair kits, but you could have a drone distribute the kits at specific locations throughout the ship, maybe at elevators, the bridge, power and the hanger.

One thing I meant to add to this was that maybe we could combine that drone job with the job to load missiles as both of those jobs are generally only temporary and it would actually make it worth switching the drone to load misses because as of now, it really isn't worth it unless you buy a TON of missiles. Also, it would probably be a good idea to have loading missiles prioritized over distributing repair kits.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:31 pm 
CCA
Puppetbones wrote:
I like everything you said Emster...except the part about not being sure which clan to apply to. You should be 100% sure you're applying to CCI. Duh.

Thank, I have actually been leaning toward CCI. The only thing really holding me back is that I know more people in CCA.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:48 am 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
Then get to know people in CCI. :P

Anyhoo, enough derailing.

Regarding the whole gap in available roles, this is sort an inevitability in a game design like this is the issue. The main difference I would argue in CC from other team oriented games would be control; rather than giving 6 people their own individual control over their own little objects, and making a game about them coordinating their objects together in an excellent fashion, I.E. Warships by comparison, CC is a game where you all cooperate to best operate your assets together.

It's like 6 people sharing a computer in a way. You're always trying to make sure your 4 year old brother doesn't keep spilling soda on the keyboard. And sometimes that means telling your 4 year old brother to go away until he can learn to be more respectful to the machine. Or by CC equivalent, 'kicking from the game.'

And that's the real difficulty in the end. The fact that everything is shared. It makes an excellent concept for pre-made teams. Horrible concept for pubs sadly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:01 am 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
Corin and I thought about it and ended up with the following idea: a security lockout that a team would vote on to set a minimum rep level that is required to access the elevators - i.e. if the team votes 10 rep (median of all suggested numbers), then players with less than 10 rep can't go up the elevators - it has to be a vote, and people can't vote for any rep above the highest on their team (to prevent lockout). This would also need players to spawn in the hangar, and can be changed via another vote. That way if a game of all low-rep players ends up happening, they won't have any restrictions, but also prevent trolls/etc. from annoying a more experienced player who would rather worry about the enemy team than their own team, without forcing them to kick the misbehaving player on their team.

This would limit the babysitting duties to prevent snatching of minerals (not that big of an issue when there is a refiner), buying missiles and other stuff from construction (block off that area as well, have flares/repair kits spawn below the block off?), and salvaging ships (prevent salvaging of ships by players with less than the needed rep), and buying ships (which may not be that big of a deal as long as it's not the infiltrator)

P.S. - welcome to CCA Emster (nod at Siretu to add CCA-forum access/tag)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:03 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
I mean, yeah, that could be nice, but I wouldn't call it solving the issue either.

In the end all you're doing is changing it from telling the person to leaving the game to, in a lot of cases, telling the person "you're not allowed to do this" -- which can be equally or even more deterring in some cases.

... I honestly wonder if just making them think that that one set of players were a bunch of assholes were just being jerks rather than the game being designed against them doing things is just slightly better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:37 pm 
CCA
I have an an idea. Instead of preventing low rep players from doing things, maybe we could add something to require approval of a higher level player before they can complete the action. For example, if a player wants to purchase a miner, there will be a popup to all higher ranking players and will require one approval before it can be carried through. It would still allow people to do things, just make it so that they can't screw the team over.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next