Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No captain mode
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:52 pm 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
Can we get a no captain mode? something where an AI controls the AI console, power console, and upgrades console?

I don't particularly care if it's not the smartest captain in the world, for example a dumb AI captain could:

1. handle upgrades by simply always purchasing the first upgrade available

2. handle power console by
a. raising/lowering shields to be between 50-80%
b. setting engine power to 1/3rd max power output based on how the nav throttle is set
c. setting the weapons to 2/3rd max power until they reach max capacity, and then reducing them as appropriate

3. handle AI console by ordering the following:

1st AI goes mining (mines everything)
2nd AI goes to science (does not arm yamato or purge the core)
3rd AI goes to refining
4th AI (when available) goes to weapons (always fires missiles)
5th AI (when available goes to loading missiles
6th-nth (when available) AI goes to mining
purchasing an AI will occur whenever it is available

I really *hate* captaining now.. but get conscripted into the position

note: when this mode is enabled, the 3 mentioned consoles (power, AI, upgrades) should be unable to be controlled by human players at all.

Post subject: Re: No captain mode
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:16 pm 
CCI
As a experienced noob, I can see that some players who have high reputation don't want to be a captain.
Position of captain looks so hard to play, and I think limited number of players by Blizzard could be a reason. One captain have much more things to do than others.
I think this mode could be a provisional solution for players who hate to be a captain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:49 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
Sharp wrote:
As a experienced noob, I can see that some players who have high reputation don't want to be a captain.
Position of captain looks so hard to play, and I think limited number of players by Blizzard could be a reason. One captain have much more things to do than others.
I think this mode could be a provisional solution for players who hate to be a captain.

The reason high reputation players hate being captain is because they often have to deal with the frustrations of often leading a team of strangers or low rep players that don't mesh well; it's sort of like asking someone to organize a project with a group of people who either don't care or who have conflicting ideas about it.

A no captains mode sounds amusing. Feels like it could easily be the basis for some AI as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:30 pm 
CCI
WhyteDragon wrote:
The reason high reputation players hate being captain is because they often have to deal with the frustrations of often leading a team of strangers or low rep players that don't mesh well; it's sort of like asking someone to organize a project with a group of people who either don't care or who have conflicting ideas about it.

Ok. now I understand the correct reason. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:58 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
How do you want this to work? Should it be a configuration option or should it be something you can assign a drone to?

Is it okay if the consoles the captain controls (upgrade, power and drone) are controlled without an actual marine controlling them?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:51 pm 
CCA
Siretu wrote:
How do you want this to work? Should it be a configuration option or should it be something you can assign a drone to?

Is it okay if the consoles the captain controls (upgrade, power and drone) are controlled without an actual marine controlling them?

that is what I had in mind originally - basically how you have the no BC weapons mode, the flying kerm mode, etc. - have another option there that is simply "no captain", i.e. not even a marine going to/from the consoles.. explain it via a "ship AI"

later we may want to add AI positions for like upgrades, power, etc. (AI on AI console sounds weird)

also, I hate power

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:09 pm 
CCI
If this becomes a thing, can we make no captains mode games not contribute to rep?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:59 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
Why wouldn't it contribute to rep? I mean, I get if you don't want it to affect win/loss ratio, but rep is just a guaranteed increase.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:00 pm 
CCI
I feel like this is a lot like SC2 big game hunters, the game has been modified to make it more casual.

To me, one of the core parts of the cruiser command experience is the 'chain of command' where someone up top is making decisions and telling other players what to do, and relying on their feedback as to whats going on to properly run the show while himself being somewhat isolated from seeing the big picture. That act of successfully pulling off 'leadership' or 'following orders' is as core to the game as the aspect of knowing tactics and strategy, or agility and marksmanship. With 'no captain mode' all of these aspects of the game are taken away.

In big game hunters, players are no longer burdened with the uncomfortable task of needing to expand to more locations to play the game, so they can focus on giant army mashups. As fun as it is to play a game like that, it takes away from the spirit of the pro level matchups in which many, many different outcomes can happen as a result of each player (team) having to find creative ways to overcome these restrictions.

So basically, my suggestion would be to do something to make the no captains mode not count as a 'real' game somehow, to encourage people to want to play the standard mode whenever possible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:09 pm 
CCA
Well.. I still think that there is some strategy to it - it does make it more noob friendly in that you won't get anyone sitting on power, messing with AI's, or getting random upgrades, but as far as which minerals to mine (and thus choose which upgrades), there is certainly a strategy, as well as when to fight/run, which ships to buy, going to place X (kerm?), perhaps staying in a squad, etc. - basically a everything that you would normally do if you weren't the captain that game, and the win/loss would still depend mostly on those skills (as it would in a game of roughly equally skilled captains).

that said, I think I can make another thread with a better solution to your concerns bbot, here: http://www.cruisercommand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=903

as far as why rep and not win/loss, because that way people who want rep would be encouraged to play the "full" version - similar to how playing some games on a harder mode allows better rewards, which is something I would support as well - perhaps bring back the half rep system, so that games in this mode only give half the rep that would normally be given (i.e. 1 rep for a win, .5 rep for a loss)