Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 16
heres why.
Nobody uses that gun so lets give them a reason to use it
a viable method of Hull tanking/soft counter of kinetics
Adds more team play (who will grab guns and sweep which parts and method of full team doing a specific role to beat/survive against enemy BC)
A gun that heals and destroys? thats a new idea offered where other games dont really use. (ok bad one but you get my point)

and i dont think that 6 people with dust cannon will be sweeping at once, there are other jobs needed in the middle of a firefight, navigation and power, remember this is a range of 4 and there will be a delay between sweeps so it isnt a true 625 hp a second, debris dont spawn that quickly even with a fully armed BC hitting and once again i say we could play around with the idea and nerf appropriately. We can play around even more by making lazers cause very little to no debris but instead cause fires which will be the bane of people running around trying to sweep debris unless they get fire suits which inhibit their ability to sweep debris by forcing them to slowly get to that big pile of debris over yonder.

If it doesnt work, theres always that option to remove that component from the game

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
Red-Rocket wrote:
heres why.
Nobody uses that gun so lets give them a reason to use it
a viable method of Hull tanking/soft counter of kinetics
Adds more team play (who will grab guns and sweep which parts and method of full team doing a specific role to beat/survive against enemy BC)
A gun that heals and destroys? thats a new idea offered where other games dont really use. (ok bad one but you get my point)

and i dont think that 6 people with dust cannon will be sweeping at once, there are other jobs needed in the middle of a firefight, navigation and power, remember this is a range of 4 and there will be a delay between sweeps so it isnt a true 625 hp a second, debris dont spawn that quickly even with a fully armed BC hitting and once again i say we could play around with the idea and nerf appropriately. We can play around even more by making lazers cause very little to no debris but instead cause fires which will be the bane of people running around trying to sweep debris unless they get fire suits which inhibit their ability to sweep debris by forcing them to slowly get to that big pile of debris over yonder.

If it doesnt work, theres always that option to remove that component from the game

Not only is the suggested unwieldy and unintuitive -- who thinks of shooting junk inside of their ship as a method of healing? -- but it is a minor down payment to add a very powerful method of healing that I see being used primarily out of combat, not within it. Repair kits used to restore 300 health a pop each at max upgrades. This mistake has already been made. Reinforcing the concept by creating a situation where shooting debris while placing repair kits on some foreign location on the ship does not need to be added, as it creates a mechanic that is not only alien and bizarre, but also one that draws away from the proper usage of mechanics such as repair stations.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:58 pm 
CCI
well that was mean lol. guess i will refrain from posting an idea on transporters and thats enough internet for one day. ^^

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
Yarrr
Red-Rocket wrote:
well that was mean lol. guess i will refrain from posting an idea on transporters and thats enough internet for one day. ^^

I am sorry if it came across as mean, but that is simply how I see it. It's another 'yes, it can be done' but 'is it really the right thing to do' situation. I don't necessarily disagree with giving the gun a buff -- but the buff you are suggesting feels completely off and forced.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:11 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 0
how about we rename the dust cannon. Ion-disintegrator or something. Give it low damage like 3 and ridiculous reload time, like 0.1
Make it look like a beam, and while it "disintegrates" the debris, it turns it into energy for the ship. Not a lot mind you, like for each debris it gives 500-1000 energy total. Easier to power dock to gain extra energy; but from cat and mouse engagements, small debris piles up. Be a nice store of extra energy if someone can tap into it.
This doesn't interrupt normal repair kit usage, for repair kits have the splash damage effect as well as healing, but can have a commander decide if he wants to liter his bc for potential energy later on or keep a shiny ship.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:51 pm 
Yarrr
Meanme wrote:
Not a lot mind you, like for each debris it gives 500-1000 energy total.

Meanme wrote:
This doesn't interrupt normal repair kit usage, for repair kits have the splash damage effect as well as healing, but can have a commander decide if he wants to liter his bc for potential energy later on or keep a shiny ship.

This is self contradictory. You are creating a mechanic in which it is advantageous to not use repair kits in the method they were originally intended to be used in -- to remove debris. I'll be honest, the removal of debris in my opinion is supposed to be the repair kit's primary purpose. The healing is nice, and we all use repair kits for healing the BC, but I still don't consider that the primary purpose. Giving the gun a weird 'on kill BC buff' effect gets right back down to the same issues I had before -- counter-intuitive, unwieldy as there's no directly connecting factor of 'gun/debris --> energy.'

It interrupts the normal repair kit usage. You are giving players an excuse not to use repair kits for their primary function in order to energy hoard by killing debris.

Also, 500-1000 energy is a lot. That's 1/200th to 1/100th of a full capacitor where you will often have at least fifty pieces of debris lying around after a large battlecruiser fight where both sides take heavy damage but no killing blow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
I would like for the Dust cannon to get some more use, but I agree with Whyte on this.

It kind of reminds me of the old days when there was a refining upgrade which increased the ratio of minerals gained for each mineral refined. It ended up with a situation where the experienced players would stockpile resources until the refining was maxed. It was not intuitive and when new players tried to be helpful by refining, they got yelled at.

I forsee something similar happening with this kind of mechanic. Experienced players stockpiling debris, only clearing out vital pathways, to act as an additional capacitor in the battle. Beginner's clearing out too much debris will be yelled at even though from their side they're just helping out. The concept that keeping debris around is beneficial is very unintuitive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:38 pm 
CCI
Red-Rocket wrote:

Oh toad-turds
Ok when i posted that...i went around 56 hours without sleep (long story) and i was...emotionally unstable.

I dont remember posting that which is the most interesting part.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:36 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 22
Reviving old thread...

Switch the miner upgrade from 15 :y: 20 :r: to 20 :y: 15 :r: ...same as scaling as well.

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

Dont touch me you filthy casual.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:34 pm 
Wiki edits: 0
Having skins for ships as well as character models for you. (as in you launch a wraith and it shows your skin, but an ally launches that same wraith will be their skin choice.)

I would also love battlecruiser skins but im not sure how a team will choose that, and how to reward new skins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next