Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Localization?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:22 pm 
CCI
Hello, I'm korean and I can tell you that there is the gap of english ability between koreans(There are many reasons so I can't tell you the clear reason). So some koreans understand most of english, but the others don't. And I'm sure that the latter is much more than the former. Therefore koreans need translation too.

Also I've found the korean community of WC3 CC. Though it's almost inactive now, I could find that there were hundreds of people. And they wanted korean version too, so somebody tried to translate even though one of them had already made some guides that written in korean.

So I can guess that it would be better if SC2 CC is translated.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:47 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
I wrote a guide for Ethern about this. Here's how one would translate the map "easily". The python file I refer to can be found here: http://hastebin.com/nazawopuko.py

If anyone wants to try it out, go ahead. For korean, it should probably be in the koKR.SC2Data folder instead of zhCH.SC2Data

Quote:
Okay, here's what you do:

First of all, make sure you follow these instructions correctly or something will probably mess up and make everything a mess.

Here's some general information: ALL the text in the map is available in one single file. If you export this file out of the map and change it and import it back, the changes should be made in the editor. This means if you translate the text document and import it back, your work is done and you just have to publish it

Here's an example of a SMALL bit of the Cruiser Command map:

Abil/Name/LaunchHellfireHeavyMissile=Launch Hellfire Heavy Missile
Abil/Name/LaunchMerculiteHeavyMissile=Launch Merculite Heavy Missile
Abil/Name/LaunchPiranhaLightMissile=Launch Piranha Light Missile
Abil/Name/LaunchPredatorHeavyMissile=Launch Predator Heavy Missile
Abil/Name/LaunchSabretoothHeavyMissile=Launch Sabretooth Heavy Missile
Abil/Name/LaunchScorpionLightMissile=Launch Scorpion Light Missile
Abil/Name/LaunchWaspLightMissile=Launch Wasp Light Missile
Abil/Name/LeaveConsole=Leave Console
Abil/Name/MineAstroid=Mine Astroid
Abil/Name/MineAstroidDummy=Mine Astroid (Dummy)
Abil/Name/OpenStorage=Open Storage

So basically, it's divided into rows. One row for each text message. They all look something like: XXXX/YYYY/ZZZZ=TEXTEXTEXT. You DON'T touch the "XXXX/YYYY/ZZZZ" part, you only take the part to the right side of the "=" and translate it. So to translate the row "Abil/Name/OpenStorage=Open Storage" you would change it to "Abil/Name/OpenStorage=露天存放" (I used google translate, it's probably not a good translation).

Now I'll soon tell you how to get the full file with all the texts but first I want to mention updating this list when I send you a new version of the map.

Imagine the map only contains the Open Storage ability. You translate it and you have a text file with"Abil/Name/OpenStorage=露天存放". Now, I send you the new version which contains a NEW ability called "Phase blaster". The version I send you will have a file that looks something like this:
"Abil/Name/OpenStorage=Open Storage"
"Abil/Name/PhaseBlaster=Phase Blaster"

So let's recap. You have this file:

"Abil/Name/OpenStorage=露天存放"

I give you this file:

"Abil/Name/OpenStorage=Open Storage"

So you want to go through the new file and take all the rows that weren't in the previous version and add them to your translated version:

You want this:
"Abil/Name/OpenStorage=露天存放"

Because then you can translate Phase Blaster and everything will be fine. This is hard to do if there's 500 rows however so I made a python script to do it automatically. I attached it in this mail

You will need Python to run it and I'm not sure how it'll handle the chinese letters so it probably wont work, but try it out and tell me the errors. To use this, place the old and new file in the same directory as the python file. Run the python file and tell it the name of the new and old file. If you want to, I can make it into an .exe but that's a lot of extra work on my part.

-------Time to learn about how to implement the translation----------
First of all, you need an mpq editor. Download one here:http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html
Now, when you get the map, you open it up in the MPQ editor. It will look something like this:http://i.imgur.com/fO2tS.jpg

Now there's a lot of folders and a lot of files in that list. You're only going to mess around in the folder called: "zhCH.SC2Data". This is where the game will take the info from if it's playing on chinese servers. Open it up and you will find a folder called "LocalizedData". Open that folder as well and you'll find a couple of text files. Now the only file you have to use is called GameStrings.txt. Right click on that file and press Extract. Choose a folder to extract it to and press okay.

Now in the folder you specified there'll be a filed called "GameStrings.txt". Try to backup it regularly and keep copies so you don't lose all your work. Edit this file as I mentioned earlier and when you want to test it, do the following:

Go into the MPQ editor again, open the map, open the "zhCH.SC2Data" folder and then the "LocalizedData" folder Right click and press "Add file(s)..." and pick your new file. In the window that comes up after that titled "Rules for adding files to MPQ", just press "OK". When it asks if you want to replace, press "Yes". Close down the MPQ editor and open the map in the editor.

That's all there is to it. I hope you understood it all. If something was unclear, tell me and I'll elaborate.

So, a repetition: Here's what you do when you get the first version:
Open the map in the MPQ editor, go into zhCH.SC2Data/LocalizedData and extract the GameStrings.txt file. Translate that file(you ONLY translate the part to the RIGHT of the "="). To test it, go back into the MPQ editor and add the file in zhCH.SC2Data/LocalizedData and overwrite the old one.

Here's what you do when you get a new version:
Open the map in the MPQ editor, go into zhCH.SC2Data/LocalizedData and extract the GameStrings.txt(Make sure you DON'T overwrite the old one). Put the old translated text file in the same folder as the new text file and the python file. Run the python file and write the name of the old one and then the name of the new one(include file extension). It will create a new file called "GameStringsMERGED.txt". Keep translating that one and then if you want to test it, go back into the MPQ editor and add the new merged file in zhCH.SC2Data/LocalizedData and overwrite the old one.

I attached the python file as well as the map. Good luck with the translation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:24 am 
CCI
OK, I'll try. Thanks for your explanation. Now I can understand how to translate, but I can't find where the map is. And how can I download the python file? when I clicked the link, I couldn't find the way to download. These questions may seem stupid but I have no idea about programing. Sorry to bother you. :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:27 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
The python file is just a text file containing the code. Right click THIS link and press save link as and save it as "localization.py".

I can send you the map in PM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:15 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 22
If Sharp can localize this into korean we need to give him a custom skin xD because thats just awesome

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

Dont touch me you filthy casual.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:44 pm 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
The map can be found under C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache - the best way to find it is to move/delete the cache folder (this won't break anything, it will just cause you to re-download maps from B.net prior to playing them), and then run sc2 - wait a few minutes, as it will download the meele maps - then create a game of cruiser command, and it will download the map somewhere to that folder - do a seach for .s2ma files, and sort them by time - the cruiser command map should be the most recent - now you can move the cruiser command map somewhere, re-name it to .sc2map, and open it with something like MPQEditor (it won't work in the galaxy editor yet)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:17 pm 
CCI
Dreadnought wrote:
If Sharp can localize this into korean we need to give him a custom skin xD because thats just awesome

that would be glorious :)

Also I got the map from Siretu, thanks slapshot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:41 am 
CCI
In order to translate well, I'm looking for suitable words for the subjugator. It would be help if I have more information about the subjugator.

1. Why is this ship's name subjugator?
  • The subjugator can be translated literally as '정복자'(=정복+자, 정복 means subjugation, 자 means person). But '정복' feels offensive so it doesn't sound like a support ship. Therefore I want to know why the ship name is subjugator.

2. What is the 'main' ability of the subjugator?
  • It's for liberal translation. The subjugator has some abilities such as radar, automaton, quantum surge and force prism. It would be easy to translate if I know what the main ability is.

I don't want to translate it as 정복자 or 정복함('함' means military ship, but 정복함 doesn't exist in dictionary) if I can. Because if I were newb korean, I couldn't guess its ability and role when I just read this name.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:15 am 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
Sharp wrote:

I think this is because I asked for a "Raven", but Siertu didn't want to use any "sc2" units - how is the raven translated into Korean? I would make it similar to that

As for main ability, I really don't think it has one - it's very situational, if anything go with a jack-of-all-trades type of ship, although if I had to pick one I think it's most useful feature is the scouting abilities that come from the radar + it's fast movement speed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:13 pm 
CCI
slapshot wrote:
Sharp wrote:

I think this is because I asked for a "Raven", but Siertu didn't want to use any "sc2" units - how is the raven translated into Korean? I would make it similar to that

As for main ability, I really don't think it has one - it's very situational, if anything go with a jack-of-all-trades type of ship, although if I had to pick one I think it's most useful feature is the scouting abilities that come from the radar + it's fast movement speed

SC2 translated the raven as "밤까마귀" which means "Night crow". SC2 has unique translation style not like other games, and it has pros and cons(SC2 translated a "Marauder" as "불곰" which means "Brown bear" :shock: ). However the raven is simply translated as "도래까마귀"("까마귀" means crow) which means "raven". If I used 밤까마귀(raven), Korean players might guess it was a support ship, because they know it in a melee game, so I would use it rather than a new liberally translated word if the ship's name were raven.

I think using a own name is good for a standalone game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next