Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weapon hardpoints
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:11 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
One thing I definitely want to implement if I remake the game from scratch, is MORE WEAPONS. These are not some scout ships fighting, they're fully armed battlecruisers and their arsenal should look the part. This means more and cooler weapons.

The first thing I want to change is to change the amount. Currently the weapon system is very heavy on the game. Each projectile has to have the custom collision and physics checks to move and collide them with stuff. This is working, but it's slow so increasing the amount of projectiles flying around at the same time is not really optimal. If I remade the game (for example in Unity) it would have much better built-in movement and collision code that supports a lot more projectiles.

Back to the point. I want more and smaller guns firing automatically. I want the feeling, you know, when you see something like an X-wing going up against a Imperial Star Destroyer and there's just green laser turrets everywhere firing away at that X-wing.

First of all, how/where are they? I was thinking something like warships where you get to place out different weapons and upgrade them. I don't want to make it possible to place them everywhere, but I'd like to have 5-20 different hardpoints on the hull where you can place different weapons. Maybe they can be destroyed/repaired? Maybe they can be controlled? I don't know, discuss!

Second of all, if the turrets are automatic what does the weapons guy do? Weapons are kind of boring if no one gets to fire stuff. Well, this question is kind of similar what we talked about in here: http://www.cruisercommand.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=770 . But I think what I'd like is a position where you get to control the cool targeted weapons as well as handle weapon-specific abilities to boost/modify dps, such as (stupid ideas I gave 5 seconds of thought):
* Instantly repair all turrets back to full health.
* Increase firing speed by 100% for 10 seconds.
* Increase projectile speed by 100% for 10 seconds.
* Micro manage turrets by turning them on/off to preserver power so you dont have one firing at a lone wraith when you want to focus the BC on the other side.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Weapon hardpoints
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:34 pm 
CCA
Wiki edits: 97
The automated weapons should be point defense, anti small-crafts (if there's any) and thing's like that. Secondary things that you don't really want to do manually.

Discord Server
Better replay suggestion
Merwins-island.dyndns.org Unofficial Teamspeak server.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:05 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 16
I would prefere a main weapons that is only player-used that uses big stuff like kinetics
while you can continually add-on turrets that fire lazOrZ like what we have now for main weapons-lasers that are more like anti-craft and small guns style stuff that can be used on by both players and AI

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:07 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
Well, here's a quick thought than. Rather than necessarily having a 'weapons console,' we could instead choose to do something closer to allowing all of these weapon hardpoints to be manned directly by each individual player -- or having several weapons stations that control several different weapon types. In this way, we could also attach several abilities unique to every weapon type. In this way, a player could take over a hardpoint (which may or may not have already been automatic) and start utilizing its abilities to their fullest.

So basically what you hinted at earlier.

I think the important part to note about this though is that if we do go with 'taking over hardpoints' to control them, or even a weapons console, they need to be as engaging as small ships. People should be just as excited to be firing from the BC as they should be from a small ship. There's a lot of potential things that could be done, but there's something in particular that comes to mind first--

How is power going to work with all of these smaller hardpoints spread around? I can easily imagine it will just work 'as it has,' and just being a 'pool to draw from,' but I feel as if there could be a lot more to go about it -- couldn't it be possible to have weapons power actually feed each individual turret their own personal power pool to work with?

Something else I also want to think about personally -- should weapons only be able to fire at a certain arc? By example, if you build a hardpoint on the left side, should you be able to shoot it only on the left? Something like this feels as if it would contribute a lot more thought to 'how' you build your hardpoints rather than nilly willy, making it so you have to also concern yourself a bit more thoroughly with positioning.

Report this post