Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Information
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:56 pm 
CCI
Siretu, I have one small suggestion:

If wraiths shoot two projectiles each shot in your stand alone game just as they do in SCII, you could consider having both projectiles fire towards the cursor, instead of in a straight forward path. Thus, the two projectiles would cross at the position of the cursor when the shots were fired. This opens up the opportunity to either focus fire or shoot in two different directions at once (if the cursor is very near the wraith), but shooting in two directions requires a dexterous hand.

I programmed a 2-dimensional game a little while ago that uses a parametric equation to position the projectiles initially, and then their direction is set towards the cursor. After that, they just keep going in a straight line, towards where the position of the cursor when they were initially fired. I attached a picture of it; notice how the lines cross. You can easily adjust the distance of where they cross simply by moving your cursor. I will copy and paste the code with an explanation if you request :)
Attachment:
TowardCursorExample.png
TowardCursorExample.png [ 12.28 KiB | Viewed 2137 times ]

I would suggest this for the SCII game as well, but to use the function that returns the position of the mouse, you have to have the trigger event be "mouse moves". (not a good idea to use) Additionally, I'm pretty sure this just returns the 2-d position of the cursor on the screen, not its position in the 3-d world. (The world is the game itself, 2-d would be for the dialogs and such). I have no idea if it's even possible to convert anyway.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:59 pm 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
@Puppetbones - you mean like the lambda shuttle from SWA?

I don't see any benefit to doing this in the current sc2 CC game (granted the stand-alone will be different..), but there isn't ever any time where a shot would "interrupt" something like a shield or a warp or something, at best it could cause AI miners to warp.. but that just needs to be in the general area, and wouldn't really matter after a 2nd shot

or do you propose having the weapons somewhat aim-able, such that the wraith can shoot in directions OTHER than where it's facing? if so, how would you restrict how far away from center the shots can go? (I.E. if we made it like the main BC laser, does shooting at the center cause it to shoot left/right at the same time?) should it be able to shoot backwards?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:07 am 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
That's exactly how the BC turrets work currently, right?

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:34 am 
CCI
I've hardly used weaps on bc, but yeah I think you're right.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:53 pm 
Creator
I'm pretty sure that's what you're suggesting.

By the way, the way I avoid having to use the "Mouse moved" event, which as you note, is a very bad idea (especially in a 12-player game) is by using an ability with the smart flag so it works the same way as e.g move.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:04 pm 
CCI
slapshot wrote:
but an (updated) github would be useful if insomni wanted help/contributions..

I would help code the shit out of this, even if I have little to no creative control over the game mechanics, just because this is the kind of thing I love to do.

I write solid code... check out this javascript I whipped out in a day for a project at work: http://mme.itx.bz/js/global.js

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:23 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 22
Erik/Siretu/Insomni said he would finish the base code then take programmers for hapiness, except...he hasnt finished the base code yet :cry:

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

Dont touch me you filthy casual.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:34 am 
Creator
My hope is to start working on it with a friend during Winter break.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:54 am 
CCA
Wiki edits: 33
This begs the question... Are you just talking about it and dreaming about how fun it can be? Or are you actually working on it now? That might sound mean. Another way I can word it is this way, and this is solely because I actually want to see this happen:

Have you gotten a team set up to handle everything that would be needed for a game of this scale? Server-side code, dedicated server host, client-side code, art assets (side note, I truly hope you're going at this in 2D and not 3D, since CC is played in a 2D world). Do you have a code and document repository that will house every idea and concept that's going to be in the game and those that have already been mentioned? It's easy to think about making a video game, I do it *all the time*. I can guarantee you it's much, much harder to start making one and actually continue through with it. Showcasing it at indie game festivals, holding a developer blog, paying employees (or splitting gains from the release), it's hard.

Again, I ask this because I want to see this happen, and it's implied (and I have mentioned) that I want to help. A lot of others on here would want to help, too.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:46 am 
CCI
Wiki edits: 22
Ya, a lot of people are really itching to get in on it, theres something about creating the base code and all, then handing it off to others? but when is that going to finish?

One day a wise man introduced me to this game. "It shall protect your virginity, my lad" he said.

Dont touch me you filthy casual.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next