Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mah map
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:40 pm 
Wiki edits: 0
Decided to post this.. Working on a map in starcraft 2.. l'm a bit of a beginner..

My map is going to be called "Kingdoms Conquest", which l'll explain.

There would be 23 24 zones to build in, using the buildings:
(Changed, due to market vs. barracks balance, now reduced training time by 66% and a few other small bonuses for income and supply)
Castle, which would act more or less like a bunker.
Market, which would increase your income.
Or Farm, which would increase the amount of supply.

Building one of these in a zone would allow it to produce a specific unit linked to that zone. (Such as l build in a zone called 'abandoned mine' it would allow me to produce infested terrans from it.)

Instead of having a set supply that you can't go over it would instead make it so for each supply over the cap reduces your income by 1. The income from 1 market l think would be 20, 10 from everything else.

Claiming a zone, or building in it, would prevent other players from building in it.

Currently in the past 20 hours or so of work l've gotten the terrain itself 90% done, income, and l'm working on the system of building in a zone and replacing the barracks with the proper one for the zone. (I.E. if l build a barracks in the zone Abandoned Mine, it will replace that barracks with a near-duplicate, the only difference is what it produces.)

l'm completely open to suggestions.

Last edited by Karl913 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mah map
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:17 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
Is it published? Is it open-source(not locked)?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:26 pm 
Currently l'm still figuring out how the map editor works. It is published, but it isn't 'released' because it's not currently functional. l only have one zone half-working. :P

And atm, yes it is locked.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:02 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 16
good luck!
i wish i could pass the steep learning curve which is crazily even harder than dwarf fortress

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:26 am 
Creator
Karl913 wrote:
Currently l'm still figuring out how the map editor works. It is published, but it isn't 'released' because it's not currently functional. l only have one zone half-working. :P

And atm, yes it is locked.

Okay. The reason I asked is because if it's not locked, you can open the editor and press ctrl+o and instead of opening a local file, you can download an unlocked map and open it directly. That way, I could give you comments on the triggers and data.

As for the system with replacing buildings, I would suggest that you do not use different, near-identical buildings. Instead, add all the producing abilities and learn how to use requirements to hide/show them. That way, you can set them up so you have a buff called "Abandoned mine" and on the "Produce mine kobold" ability, you have a requirement that only shows the ability if the unit has the "Abandoned mine" buff. You then set it up like that for all zones and abilities (It might take some time, but it'll teach you a lot on how the workflow works). Then you could have a trigger like: "Unit enters region: Abandoned Mine => Add 1 Abandoned Mine behavior to (Triggering Unit)"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:07 am 
That is a different way of doing it.. l would use it, but atm l have it all sorted out so l just need to copy paste about 3 things a tweak what unit the building spawns/unit stats. l can set up the map on mediafire and PM you it.

And for you Red-Rocket: The learning curve is very steep, l'll admit. l've tried the editor before.. But then l gave it up within the hour. Here's what l've done though to get started.. l just had a plan for a simple map like the one l'm making now, and then l just looked how to do stuff using google one step at a time. l'd also recommend looking at some other peoples test maps that you can find all over the place.

Also, ran into a problem.. l want to have a 10% unit cost bounty for units to prevent camping or such like that, but l want zergling to cost 1 minerals and several others to cost something below ten. Is there any way to add decimals at all or make it so if the player kills 10 zergling they get their mineral? l haven't been able to figure that one out..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:18 am 
Creator
Please upload it for me. I would appreciate it.

As for the system, I think replacing the unit is potentially bad since it can cause issues with placement(the building gets placed slightly off because of units in the way), issues with health and other properties as well as selection issues. Still, it's up to you :)

For the decimal resources, I think the best way to do that would be to switch to a trigger system. Have a real array(one slot for each player) and then when a unit dies, add the unit's cost * 0.1 to YourArray[(Triggering Player)]. Then you can do something like: bounty = Real(Integer(YourArray[(Triggering Player)]))

Then you can give the player bounty minerals and set YourArray[(Triggering Player)] = YourArray[(Triggering Player)] - bounty.

I'm just doing it in my head, but it seems right. The important part is the Real(Integer(YourArray)), since it first converts it to integer which removes the decimal part and then back to real so you can use it with the other stuff.

As for the editor: It's hard to get used to at first. I've been using it since the WoL beta, so I got some experience by now. You can always try out my extensive data editor tutorial: http://www.thehelper.net/threads/data-e ... de.151813/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:36 am 
Sent a PM. l'll see if l can finish the income system like that.

Edit: Bounty system done. l didn't quite get what you were meaning 100%, so what l've done is create a variable that is by default 0. Then l have a trigger that fires every time a unit dies and does not belong to player 1, and sets the variable to the cost of the unit / 10, adds the variable in minerals to the player 1, and then resets the variable. So far in my tests it works fine. All l'll need to do is copy it and replace player 1 with player 2, 3, 4, etc.

Edit 2: The core of my map (Zones, income.) l expect will be done tonight.. l've asked a few friends if they want to 'test' it for me, (Play a full match on it) and then tell me what they think is wrong. Currently l have 2 or 3 slots for anyone who would want to come. l think it'll take place at about 7.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 pm 
My map is now published and public. :D

Edit: Made private again for good reasons..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:14 pm 
Sorry if this feels like necro or even spam, but l'd like to say that the map is gonna get released soon (Now) and that l have been working on it quite a bit.

The original concept has changed dramatically, and l've started a new map with a more primal zerg theme, where the player controls a pack leader and recruits soldiers for his army.
Aswell as the more a unit kills the more powerful it gets. (Not using levels.) l'll prolly make a post on it sometime else explaining it better.