Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Patch 5.2 (Beta)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:37 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
5.2:
- Fixed problem with neutral’s team color.
- Kinetic homing no longer increases turning rate.
- Kinetic damage upgrade changed to 30% hull damage increase per level.
- Invisibility charge duration increased from 6s to 15s.
- Single bursts now have a small sight radius.
- Warp no longer has a 1.5s delay.
- Utility tier 3 now increases Battlecruiser energy production by 50.
- Added a 1s missile firing delay.
- Damage now causes knockback.
- Added Inventory hotkeys (F1-F6)
- Added hotkey for switching view (tab)
- Added missile hotkeys (F1-F6)
- Camera is no longer locked on the BC. There is a special global button with a hotkey(C) that can be used to turn camera locking on/off.

Published on NA beta. Try and get some games going and try it out for me. Pretty please?

Post subject: Re: Patch 5.2 (Beta)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:33 am 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
Kinetics bleedthrough still needs nerf, actually maybe making the entire shield system be # based instead of % based (i.e. bleedthrough at under 500/750/1000 shields) vs the current 50%/75%/100%

I think mining t1 needs a nerf (free chomper is too much, perhaps a free miner instead would be better, or just a reduction in the cost of miners/chompers even better)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:53 am 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
I do agree shifting the bonus from a Chomper to a Miner might be a bit more suitable. I feel like one of the common arguments looking at the economy tier 1 might be that the cost is similar to a chomper, plus you get extra bonuses still.

Shifting it to a miner might help create a little more opportunity cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:46 am 
CCI
NOPE NOPE NOPE DONT PUBLISH YET

Major (and some minor) bugs found:
- Camera hotkey 'c' overrides several things, like purchasing flares in construction console and docking for wraiths. Also if you use 'c' while out in a ss it twitches the camera and breaks it once you dock. You should only be able to use 'c' while in the BC, and maybe change the purchase flare hotkey.
- Kinetics seem to have no homing ability until homing level 3 is upgraded.

Also I think the fact that corvettes, destroyers, and minelayers can now fire missiles should be on the patch note. (unless it's on a previous one and I just didn't notice)

And change the word delay in - Added a 1s missile firing delay to cooldown. Delay sounds like you can still fire 6 at once but there is a delay between pushing the button and the missile firing.

Several changes in this patch DRAMATICALLY change Korean gameplay. I'm not complaining; I just want you to be aware. To explain, let me first describe the main differences in Korea.

First off, no one uses flares and 2-3 human miners is very common. I was very confused by this at first but then I realized why. Kinetics can shoot nearly half way across the map horizontally and nearly the entire length vertically, they home in on small ships like a boss, and pretty much instantly kill you (in an ss). Basically, we will have someone get on weapons once in a while and simply watch for a ping within range and unload on it. That small ship that got targeted then, without warning, gets engulfed by missiles from all sides (they curve around and hit from front too). So flares are useless because they only cover one side. Yesterday I hopped on weaps, fired 3 random bursts at a couple of pings about a third of the way across the map, and walked over to upgrades. A few seconds later I got a miner and chomper kill...lol. Also AI miners get killed easily because they are not programmed to watch out for enemy bc (on minimap) and stay out of range of kinetics. So thus, the 2-3 human miners. I think the kinetic changes will really help balance them. It's probably not OP but still threatening to small ships enough that the use of frequency nullifiers is interesting (see what I mean about the early things included in CC being so much more strategic?).

Secondly, missiles and yamato are used instead of lasers for dps against enemy BC. Many battles are won by sneaking up on an enemy BC, often with engine boost, dealing massive damage in very little time while their shields are not ready, and using kinetic bleedthrough to finish off the remaining hull once they get shields up. The missile firing delay and kinetic damage upgrade changes will affect this style of play. Also the removal of warp delay might create some interesting microing in dodging missile barrages, but with the 1 second missile firing cooldown not all the missile bays get fired at once, so idk. But be careful with these changes.

And some (not necessarily negative) side effects of some of the changes that you might not be aware of:
- knockback changes the ss game a bit. Fleeing ships basically have a speed boost. It didn't seem to have much effect on BC's, so BC vs BC is basically the same as before.
- Since asteroids also experience a knockback, it makes firing projectiles an alternative to moving asteroids over ramming them. This probably doesn't seem that big but it offers a new way to slow moving kerm asteroids, but damages them a little. It also allows kinetics to push asteroids out of the way and hit enemy miners hiding behind them, though not that effectively. And, going off of the suggestion thread I posted titled "Why people keep leaving CC", I will say that this is the kind of change I really like to see. It does NOT add any new item to the game, like some kind of ss item that produces knockback, but adds an intuitive aspect to something that already exists. Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:05 am 
Creator
There was a big issue with the camera and small ships that I noticed, where it locks the camera without following the ship (and also allows the hotkey to be used while in a small ship). I already noticed this and fixed it in the dev version but I was in a hurry and didn't republish to the beta. I'll look into the homing issue and change wording on the missile cooldown.

Offensive ships can fire missiles with one of the offensive tier upgrades. This has been like that for a long time.

As for the changes to korean meta, how do you feel about it? Is any of the things going to affect it negatively?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:58 am 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
Siretu wrote:
As for the changes to korean meta, how do you feel about it? Is any of the things going to affect it negatively?

Well, we have been saying that kinetics needs a nerf.. the Koreans are just exploiting it more - moving miner works wonders vs long-range kinetic sniping, but you do have to gauge how much homing the kinetics have, chompers far away from BC or on wrong side of dying = not much new, Koreans are just more aggressive in their econ and take more risks with the miners/chompers (but also have it pay off often enough), but outside of the proposed econ t1 nerf, I don't think wraiths/corvs/etc. need any balance changes yet, due to the high econ pressure over there they haven't faced all that many wraith squads (actually I should go record some replays, as we had nice large-scale ss engagements at the beginning a few games recently)

one of the other "Korean meta" things is that they like to flood the game with AI's, i.e. a 3v3 becomes a 3+4AI vs 3+4AI - weapons/etc. are kinda nerfed if there aren't spare AI's lying around the BC on the console 24x7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:25 am 
CCI
Siretu wrote:

That should be a big improvement. I do like kinetics being a way to harass miners (and other ss); it has is drawbacks. It uses energy, requires some upgrades on kinetics rather than on the more potent BC shield dps weapon: lasers, and using it reveals the approximate location of your BC to the enemy. It's just right now it's way to overpowered against ss because there is no escape once you're caught. With the homing the way it was when I tested it, it seems flares could actually block most of them, allowing a chance of escape depending on number of flares and distance.

I'm honestly not sure what it was before (or I guess is currently). It probably doesn't effect ss much because 1 or 2 missiles = death either way. BC vs BC will be effected; if it is an increase BC will die quicker if decrease it will die slower. Not sure if good or bad.

I've noticed the new science console charge things being occasionally used. People might use invisibility now.

Love this one. Makes spamming kinetics at pings on weapons console more entertaining. Rather then just shooting somewhat blindly without the satisfaction of seeing your victim blow up, you can sort of scout nearby pings and see what it is and how to get to it with now nerfed kinetic homing. Also, I'll say again, adds a new aspect to an existing object rather than creating a new one...nice.

I think this is good. This is used almost every time in a similar way to engine boost and tractor beam: close distance on enemy BC if you have upperhand, extend distance if you are hurting.

- Added a 1s missile firing delay.
Mixed about this one personally. Makes you have to sit in weapons for awhile rather then doing something else real quick while next batch of missiles are loaded. Removes some sense of urgency and intensity in battle. But also makes sneak attacks while enemy isn't ready not so one sided (enemy has chance to get shields up, shields recharge more while getting barraged).

Not sure what the full effects of this will be but honestly not much in korea because with kinetics there isn't much ss vs ss. But with homing nerf maybe there will be now. Will be interesting to watch.

- Misc hotkey stuff
Of course good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:29 pm 
Creator
I'm pretty sure the kinetics was 40% before.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:41 pm 
Creator
New version published to beta. Current patch notes:

5.2:
- Fixed problem with neutral’s team color.
- Utility tier 3 now increases Battlecruiser energy production by 50.
- Added a 1s missile firing cooldown.
- Added Inventory hotkeys (F1-F6)
- Added hotkey for switching view (tab)
- Added missile hotkeys (F1-F6)
- Camera is no longer locked on the BC. There is a special global button with a hotkey(C) that can be used to turn camera locking on/off.
- Fixed issue with warp attracting enemy cargo drones.
- Economy tier 1 now gives a free miner instead of a chomper.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:24 am 
CCI
Things you should maybe polish up on for 5.2:

Just played a game where destroyer could not fire missiles. If it's not fixed in dev version then that would be a good thing to fix.

Once eco is upgraded to allow moving while mining, ai bump into asteroids while mining, diminishing their health.

When the mass replicator is created, vision of the ENTIRE map, inlcuding enemy ships, is briefly given. I would suggest instead of giving vision to the entire map, create a unit group variable and every time an asteroid is created add it to the group using the "add unit to unit group" action. Then, when all the asteroids are supposed to be revealed, pick each player on the desired team, and pick each unit in unit group (your unit group variable) and Reveal (Convert Circle to Region(Position of Unit(Picked unit)) radius (something small) for player (Picked player) for 0.0625 seconds You might need to also either make sure the unit is alive before revealing the area, or remove asteroids from the unit group when they die (get depleted).

Have you thought about putting tips/CC gameplay facts on the bottom of the loading screen instead of just "Have fun!"? On my map, I used to have some very large text right in the middle of the screen, kind of like the "Cruiser Command" right in the center of yours, but found out almost no one reads it. However, I started putting tips in and pretty much everyone reads those. As far as what to put in tips, you already have beginner instructions at the top left so I would suggest tips for intermediate players. Some examples might include:

"You can multitask in the Power Console by using hotkeys and clicking buttons with the mouse at the same time."

"In addition to slowing the targeted ship, EMP's also deal <x> damage upon impact." (I don't remember what the damage is)

"The mining laser and ramming are the only weapons that can penetrate the corvette's shield."

"At the start of the game, wrapping the map in a miner and returning a cargo drone is an effective way to scout asteroid fields."

Stuff like that. You know what, if you do want to do this, I'll just create a thread in Suggestions full of these and others can add to it. Then you can just copy paste into editor.