Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weapons burst energy cost
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:15 pm 
Wiki edits: 0
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but what do you think about weapon burst energy price, it seems a little bit too high, because a fully upgraded lazer does 24 damage per dot,

72 dmg (24*3) for tripples at the price of 500 GW
120 dmg (24*5) for penta at the price of 1000 GW

Compared to broadsides, which are 70*5 * (1 + 0,25) = 417 dmg for 800 GW

if we put the numbers to the same base of 800 GW, it'd be:

417 - broadside
100 - penta
120 - tripple

The difference looks too big, i do understand that broads are supposed to be used to take the shields down, and since they have longer cycle and can only be aimed at side, their dps is fine, they are supposed to use more energy but 4 times more?

Maybe it should be a little bit lower, e.g. 350 GW for tripples, 700 got penta, this will not make them stronger at DPS, it'll just make it possible to use more freely. Not to mention you gotta waste hell lot to just kill a small ship.

- It gets wet.

Post subject: Re: Weapons burst energy cost
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 pm 
Yarrr
Wiki edits: 126
I was going to write a whole bunch of stuff about engine energy consumption, positioning, inability for use during chase, but you know what?

I don't think it would hurt to boost it to 1000 or 1200. But not any more than that.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
IvanX wrote:
The difference looks too big, i do understand that broads are supposed to be used to take the shields down, and since they have longer cycle and can only be aimed at side, their dps is fine, they are supposed to use more energy but 4 times more?

Maybe it should be a little bit lower, e.g. 350 GW for tripples, 700 got penta, this will not make them stronger at DPS, it'll just make it possible to use more freely. Not to mention you gotta waste hell lot to just kill a small ship.

I think I'm missing your point since you're using unclear and general definitions.

"their dps is fine, they are supposed to use more energy but 4 times more?". Since you before that sentence were talking about the broadsides, I assume "their" is referring to the broadsides? But didn't your calculations just show that broadsides deal more damage per energy? So maybe you were talking about triple and penta costing too much energy? This makes sense with the last paragraph in your post where you suggest a reduction in energy cost for triple and penta?

However, I still don't agree with your argument because I think your math is wrong. First of all, 70*5*(1+0.25) is not equal to 417 (unless I'm doing something wrong). In addition to this, you also accounted for upgrades for the broadsides but not for the lasers. This seems silly since lasers also get bonuses from those laser upgrades.

So let's do the math again:

Damage:
Triple: 12 * (1 + 1.25) * 2 * 3 = 162
Penta: 12 * (1 + 1.25) * 2 * 5 = 270
Broadsides: 70 * 5 * (1 + 0.25) = 437.5

Damage per energy:
Triple: 162 / 500 = 0.324
Penta: 270 / 1000 = 0.27
Broadsides: 437.5 / 800 = 0.546875

So in your post, you agreed that triple and penta burst should use more energy per damage, but not 4 times more. Now it turns out (if my calculations are correct), that broads doesn't even deal double the damage per energy compared to triple burst. Are you still arguing that triple and penta burst's damage per energy is too low compared to broadsides?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 pm 
Wiki edits: 0
No, i've been thinking of decreasing energy consumption for bursts, as i wrote in last paragraph.

"their dps is fine, they are supposed to use more energy but 4 times more?" - i meant that i agree with them using more energy, maybe 2,5-3 times more, but 4 times more? that seems to much.

Ye the number for broads was 437, i just copied it from the paper incorrectly.

---------

Your math is also wrong, i multiplied it by 2, because i thought lasers were 5 upgrades +20% each, but since they're +25%, then it will be as you wrote (1+1,25), but you gotta remove the * 2

Damage:
Triple: 12 * (1 + 1.25) * 3 = 81
Penta: 12 * (1 + 1.25) * 5 = 135
Broadsides: 70 * 5 * (1 + 0.25) = 437.5

Damage per energy:
Triple: 81 / 500 = 0.162
Penta: 135 / 1000 = 0.130
Broadsides: 437.5 / 800 = 0.546875

------

Or wait, does tripple burst actually shoot 3 lasers from each side (6 total)? if that's the point, then ye, i'm wrong, the description doesn't say that so i assumed it was just 3 shots 12 dmg each, then the double pricing for bursts is just where it should be and the topic should be closed

- It gets wet.

Last edited by IvanX on Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 pm 
CCI
Wiki edits: 16
yes but i love how your signature says that 47.3% of statistics are made up on the spot

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:09 pm 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
IvanX wrote:
Or wait, does tripple burst actually shoot 3 lasers from each side (6 total)? if that's the point, then ye, i'm wrong, the description doesn't say that so i assumed it was just 3 shots 12 dmg each, then the double pricing for bursts is just where it should be and the topic should be closed

Yes, that's correct. I might however have to update the tooltip to clarify that.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 pm 
ZergCC
Wiki edits: 6
i dont mean anything against damage atm, I just wanna point out 1 thing, I think the energy cost relates somewhat accurately... (maybe not, but...) broadside fire from separate cannons, but penta all from one cannon :p that high rate of fire would hea up, making more resistance, causing more energy loss (I still don;t understand how conductors, or superconductors are more efficient when colder...)

And, I already suggested tooltip clarity, It is on the to do list :p (I was told)