Cruiser Command

Cruiser command is a cooperative map between two teams. Simply put, each team controls one battlecruiser and the goal is to kill the opponent's battlecruiser.

It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moving Asteroids Persisting on Minimap
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:57 am 
CCI
Moving Asteroids show up on the minimap when they come within vision of an allied ship, but then stay in that place on the minimap once they fly away. Sometimes one moving asteroid will create several fixated asteroids on the minimap, making it look like the edge of a field. But once you fly over there you realize it's nothing.

I'm gonna take a stab and guess the cause: asteroids are flagged as structures and thus persist on the minimap after they go out of vision. This mechanic is good for fixated asteroids, but not moving ones. Unflagging the moving asteroids as structures might cause bugs, so I suggest looking into what makes flying Terran structures (in melee) not persist on the minimap. Now that I think about it, I remember seeing an error message a couple of games ago saying that the BC is a structure, so maybe look into that.

Post subject: Re: Moving Asteroids Persisting on Minimap
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:48 am 
Creator
Wiki edits: 115
Problem is that there's no mechanical difference between moving and stationary asteroids, except in the custom physics in triggers. I'm not sure if it's possible to dynamically change that with behaviors or upgrades or something, but I can look into it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:55 am 
CCI
I think I found your answer.
In the Data Module > Units, I examined "Barracks" and "Barracks (Flying)" and noticed that they have one difference that seems related to the issue. Go to the "UI" tab on each of them and scroll down a bit until you find "Ui: Fog Visibility". Barracks has "Snapshot" as the option and Barracks (Flying) has "Hidden". If the asteroids have "Snapshot" here, maybe try making the moving asteroids "Hidden". (and if they're both the same unit, I would make them separate units). Try it and maybe that will work. Seems like that would be it, but it is the data module, so you never know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:10 pm 
Creator
Making them separate units is just annoying, since it's already 8 different units for different models (which I guess I could work around, but at the time of implementation, I wasn't experienced with the editor).

It would be better if I can change that attribute with upgrades or behaviors. I'll look into it and see if I can.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:04 pm 
CCI
Makes sense. You might be able to do it with triggers using catalog.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:22 am 
Creator
Not available in behavior or upgrades and it's protected in catalog (Core: access denied to required object or service). I have some small ideas for workarounds, but otherwise I don't think I will solve this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 pm 
CCI
Did you try Catalog Field Value Set or Catalog Reference Set?

I honestly don't know what the difference between the two of them are because they have the exact same descriptions, but the their parameters work a little differently and I remember one of them coming up with errors like that and the other working for me. I think the one that worked for me was Catalog Reference Set.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:21 pm 
CCA
Wiki edits: 0
id rather just not have asteroids at all on the FOW-covered minimap than have to deal with "ghosts"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:59 pm 
Creator
Puppetbones wrote:
Did you try Catalog Field Value Set or Catalog Reference Set?

I honestly don't know what the difference between the two of them are because they have the exact same descriptions, but the their parameters work a little differently and I remember one of them coming up with errors like that and the other working for me. I think the one that worked for me was Catalog Reference Set.

Interesting. I'll have a look. I always use Catalog Field Value Set, because it's the one who's name makes sense to me. Thought the other one did something else.

Edit: Tried it. It isn't available in the list, so I entered the parameter as custom script but got the same error as with the Catalog Field Value Set.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:24 pm 
CCI
okay...I will try to think of something.